Monday, July 11, 2011

Paula Deen's Cheese Biscuits (Vegan style)

Vegan Cheddar Biscuits

Before I was vegan I was loved cheddar biscuits, I finally decided to try Daiya Shreds Cheddar Style Vegan Cheese. My family and I loved the results.  These biscuits would go nicely with the potato crusted frittata or with mashed potatoes, gravy, and what my kids call veat loaf.  http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html

I skipped the drenching the biscuits in butter/Earth Balance.  In my opinion, they are tasty enough without the extra fat.  If you like yours buttery, by all means melt a tablespoon or two of Earth Balance margarine to brush over them.

Vegan Cheddar Biscuits

1 cup Unbleached All Purpose or White Wheat Flour
1 cup Spelt Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Demerara Sugar
A Few Grinds of Fresh Black Pepper
1/3 cup Non-Hydrogenated Shortening
1/2 cup Daiya Shreds Cheddar Style
1 Tbsp. Lime Juice
1 cup So Delicious Coconut Milk or Non Dairy Milk of Choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly oil a medium sized cookie sheet and set aside.  In a glass measuring cup, stir together lime juice and coconut milk.  In a large mixing bowl combine flours, baking powder, salt, sugar, and pepper.  Cut in shortening with fork or pastry blender.  When the flour and shortening mixture resembles the texture of bread crumbs.  Stir in cheddar shreds, then stir in coconut milk until thoroughly moistened.  Spoon biscuits onto the cookie sheet.  Brush with margarine if desired.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Makes 8 biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment